Hi there! Who’s ready for warmer weather and outside get together’s?! Ok, maybe we can’t do the later for some time yet, but as the weather warms I just can’t help but want to be outside. It is still a bit chilly here in Ohio. So fingers-crossed it warms up to the point where we can sit outside. Perhaps around a fit pit and snack on these s’mores cookies. Nothing says summer more than that, am i right??
I struggled with coming up with this recipe for a while. In the end, I decided to keep it simple. This recipe comes from my *best* chocolate cookies — but how do you get the marshmallows to *not* melt in the oven?! This has forever been my struggle with anything s’mores related.
For good reason too, marshmallows are tricky ingredients to put in any baked goods. Part of that is because they are mostly just sugar and gelatin, which both melt at higher temps. The conundrum is real.
So after doing some research, and conducting numerous tests and trials, I’ve discovered that the best way to make these cookies is to freeze the dough, with half a marshmallow wrapped inside.
I can’t claim credit for this idea. Sarah over at broma bakery produced some s’mores cookies that use this method. I thought her cookies were good — and you should definitely check them out! But at the end of the day, there still wasn’t enough marshmallows in the cookies for me. I want to be able to *see* it, you know?
So what did I do? Add more marshmallows of course. The jist is, you bake the cookies with the marshmallow inside, and then while the cookies are still warm from the oven, you top them with more mini marshmallows. *genius* It’s important to do this while the cookies are still warm so that they melt slightly and become gooey. You could also take this a step further, and use a blow torch to brown the tops of the marshmallows for that extra s’mores look.
What you’ll need for these s’mores cookies:
First up, you’ll need the standard ingredients for my best chocolate chip cookies:
- Sticks Unsalted Butter
- Brown Sugar
- Granulated Sugar
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Vanilla extract
- 3.4 oz Package Vanilla Pudding Mix
You’ll also need:
- Chocolate Chips (any size, any kind) I used semi-sweet chips
- Graham Crackers
- Regular Marshmallows
- Mini Marshmallows
Sounds just about perfect right? So snap these ingredients up next time you’re at the store & whip up the best summer treat that’ll have everyone begging for s’more. 🙂
Get campfire ready with these s'mores cookies. Ooey Gooey marshmallows mix beautifully with graham crackers and chocolate to make the best cookies. Betcha can't eat just one!
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter 2 Sticks
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Eggs, large
- 2 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Graham Crackers crushed
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 3.4 oz Package Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 2 Cups Chocolate Chips semi sweet
- 10-12 Marshmallows cut in half
- 1/2 Cup Mini Marshmallows
- Preheat Oven to 350 deg F.
- With a mixer, combine butter with sugars and mix until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing until combined. Follow with Vanilla pudding mix and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, crushed graham crackers, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix to combine.
- Stir in Chocolate Chips
- Using a large cookie scoop (#24) scoop cookie dough and using your thumb, press a well into the center. Place half a marshmallow inside. Close the dough around the marshmallow. Place dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet, and freeze for about 20 minutes.
- When ready to bake, place on a parchment lined cookie sheet about 2 inches apart and bake for 14-16 minutes (depending on size of cookie) or until golden brown on the outside. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Add 3-4 mini marshmallows on top of cookies, as desired.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.