Hello friends! I can’t believe its almost easter sunday — this year certainly feels different than the rest doesn’t it?? But it doesnt meant we can’t make delicious treats at home right?? These Easter Rice Krispie treats are just the ticket. Easy to make and will last for days at room temp — you can’t get much better for quarantine snack status!
Rice Krispie Versatility
I am always surprised at how versatile rice krispy cereal can be in the kitchen – from these amazing easter rice krispies treats to french toast, you really can do almost anything with them. I’ve even been working on a rice krispie treat cookie (yes cookie) recipe! So stay tuned for that!
Aside from rice krispies, I snagged some “fruit” marshmallows at my store. To be frank, I didnt realize they are fruit flavored until my husband pointed it out, I was just interested in the colors — so pretty! and I mean, come on, they say “fun marshmallows” on the bag…can you blame me?
The fruit flavor is not very pronounced so I doubt you will even notice a difference. I actually used regular marshmallows for the majority of the mix, so you can just do that if you would like and leave out the cup or so of fruit marshmallows I put in.
I also added some sweet tooth fairy sprinkles to the mix. I found these at Michaels before the shut down but you can use anything you might find at the grocery store or just leave them out. No big deal. 🙂
Now for the added goodness — Sweetened condensed milk! yes. you heard that right. Not only does it help increase the “shelf life” of your krispie treats, but it helps make them extra gooey and rich. Love it in this recipe!
Other than that, all you need is some good ‘ol fashion rice krispie cereal and some butter and you are in business to make these Easter rice krispie treats! I hope they bring some fun to your kitchen!
Easter Rice Krispie Treats
Make the Easter bunny jealous with these amazing Easter rice krispie treats! Sweetened with condensed milk and bursting with marshmallows, these treats wont last a day!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- One 12-oz bag regular marshmallows
- 1 cup Fruit Marshmallows plus extra for the top
- 1/2 Cup Sprinkles plus extra for the top
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 8 cups Rice Krispies
- Flaky sea salt optional
- Grease an 8×8×2-inch or a 9x9x2 inch pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Leave it a little long on the sides so that the treats can be easily lifted out.
- Place the butter in a large pot on the stove and melt it over medium heat. Add the sweetened condensed milk and stir with a rubber spatula, for about two minutes, until the butter and condensed milk are uniformly combined (when you first begin stirring they will look separated), and small bubbles are forming in the center of the mixture.
- Add the bag of marshmallows and stir until melted and smooth
- Add the vanilla and salt and stir again.
- Off the heat, add the Rice Krispies and the remaining cup of marshmallows and sprinkles. Stir to combine.
- Transfer to the prepared pan and press down lightly with a sheet of plastic wrap (you do not want to pack the Krispie treats down or they will lose their inherently soft and gooey texture).
- Sprinkle with extra marshmallows, sprinkles and flaky sea salt, if using.
- Let set up on the counter for at least an hour. Cut into 16 slices and serve. Leftovers (there won’t be any) can be placed in an air-tight container on the counter for up to 3 days.