Hello! I hope you are well. I have some very happy news to share today — Ajax turns 5! Happy Birthday Ajax! For those who don’t know, Ajax is our very active, very happy standard schnauzer. He’s truly a joy to be around and is super loving, if not a bit of a drama king. haha. So to celebrate his birthday I made him some homemade dog biscuits with peanut butter and banana!
These homemade dog biscuits are gluten free and super easy to make. The recipe yields quite a lot of biscuits, so you can easily make half at a time and freeze the rest. It has all sorts of good things in it too — coconut oil for a shiny coat, oats for vitamins B5 and B9, peanut butter for healthy fats and bananas for vitamin C and magnesium.
Basically, they are human grade doggo treats. Feel free to try one! 🙂 So the recipe calls for 3 cups of oats, and I usually grind (in a food processor) 1.5 cups of that into a powder so that the dough comes together a bit more evenly. I find that this makes for a smoother dough that is easier to form, especally if you want to make larger biscuits.
The rest of the recipe is straight forward and super quick to throw together. I use a food processor to bring it together, but you can just throw everything in a bowl and mix it together. I also refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes so it’s more workable and hold the shape of the cut outs. Like the cookie cutters? You can find them here!
So happy birthday to the one and only ajax and I hope you enjoy making these for your fourlegged friends as well 🙂
See ya next time!
Homemade Dog Biscuits
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil melted
- 1/4 Cup Peanut Butter softened
- 3 Cups Rolled Oats divided in half — 1.5 Cups ground fine
- 2 Ripe Banana’s mashed
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix throughly to combine. Turn out onto a floured surface and shape into a ball. Dough may be sticky, add more flour as needed.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refridgerate until firm, about 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350F. Roll out on a floured surface until 1/4 in thick. Cut out desired shapes.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on size, or until the biscuits are set and no longer wet looking.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight containter for up to a week or freeze for up to 3 months.