Hello! Happy Tuesday! I’ve got a great recipe for you today — apricot & granola breakfast bars! These are inspired by breakfast bars I picked up at my local market a few weekends ago and after a few tries, they are ready for you!
I think the most important part of these apricot & granola breakfast bars is the crust. Initially I thought to bake the crust all the way through then layer everything else on top, but it didn’t really work out. You want the ingredients to meld together and the best way to do that is to bake it all together.
I did have success in par-baking (or pre-baking) the shortbread crust for about 10 minutes and then layering the jam and the granola on top after it had cooled slightly. I also added a glaze — which is completely optional — but it will make them sweeter so if you use a low sugar jam or no sugar granola you might want it on top.
Other than that, the recipe is pretty simple and I used store bought jam and granola (of course you can make your own, or this pumpkin granola would be great in the fall!) which made it come together super fast! Perfect for weekend mornings or to make the night before. 🙂
Hope youre having a lovely Tuesday! Happy baking!
Want to see more breakfast recipes? Click here!
Apricot & Granola Breakfast Bars
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 8 oz Jar Apricot Jam
- 1 Cup Granola I used a simple low fat variety
- 1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries optional
- 1/2 Cup Toasted Unsweetened Coconut optional
- 1/2 Cup Slivered Almonds optional
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 tbsp. hot water
- Preheat oven 350 deg F and prepare a tart pan (with removeable bottom) by lightly spraying with cooking spray and lining with parchment.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fit with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together until light. Add the other ingredients and mix to combine. The mixture will be very crumbly and loose.
- Transfer about 3/4 of the crumb mixture to your prepared pan and press into and even layer. Use a fork an “dock” the dough (put small holes in the base so that steam can escape). Bake in the middle rack at 350 deg for about 15 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Remove and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- While the shortbread is cooling, combine the granola, cranberries, almonds, coconut and brown sugar with the remaining dough. Mix lightly until it just comes together. Set aside.
- When shortbread is cool but not cold, spread jam evenly over the surface and top with granola mixture. Press lightly to ensure it adheres. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, vanilla and hot water — whisking to combine.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares and drizzle with glaze as desired. Serve immediately or keep in a air tight container for up to 3 days at room temperature.