Are you still eating turkey day left overs? Yea? I knew you were — well lucky you I have a great recipe for you to use up all that turkey you’ve been making sandwiches with. No more turkey? No problem. This recipe for turkey & dumpling soup is great with a shredded chicken and too easy not to try.
This Turkey and Dumpling soup recipe is super quick and filling — perfect for any night of the week and great for a crowd. Now there are two different types of dumplings if you will and a bisquick or other all purpose baking mix will help you make either kind.
This first type of dumpling is a flat or “slicker” dumpling. These are thin and flat dumplings that when added to the liquid cook through but do not puff. I think these types of dumpling are more common in the north but, of course if you like these kind of dumpling then by all means, make them.
For this recipe I made the other type of dumping: a drop or pillow dumpling. This is the kind of dumpling that I grew up with and it’s the same baking mix as the flat dumpling but instead of rolling and cutting you “drop” spoonful of the dumpling mix into the hot liquid and allow them to cook in the surface of the soup.
This cooking method produces a light and fluffy dumpling verses a flat dumpling that is more noddle like. The choice is yours, either one produces delicious results.
I hope you had a great thanksgiving and are all geared up for the holidays to come. Be sure to continue to follow along on my travels in New Zealand on Instagram @livinginsugar.blog!
Turkey & Dumpling Soup
Get cozy with this warm and filling soup!
- 1 lb shredded turkey or chicken
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tsp garlic chopped
- 1 quart chicken stock low sodium
- 2 tsbp butter
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sage ground
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 cups Bisquick or all purpose baking mix
- 2/3 cups water
- In a large pot, heat butter and oil together. Add onions, carrots and celery and cook until soft. Add garlic and seasoning stirring to
- Add shredded chicken and stock or broth and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and allow to cook for 10-15 minutes while preparing the dumplings in accordance with the directions on the package.
- 20 minutes before you are ready to eat, cook the dumplings per the instructions on the package and then serve immediately, enjoy!