Hello! How are you today? It is basically my Friday so I am in a great mood. The husband and I are heading to Atlanta tomorrow for our Global Entry Interviews — yay road trip! So that should be fun. I think we’re going to try to have lunch there too because why not. Speaking of lunch tho…I have this healthy and delicious recipe that is perfect for lunch and even better for dinner! This Kale Harvest Salad is perfect anytime of day, and it definitely gets better with time!
So I’m sure you’re like what?! A salad gets better with time?? Yes. This salad is essentially marinated Kale with some roasted pumpkin seeds, red onions, and roasted acorn squash. You could mix it up and add in anything that you might like — dried cranberries, sunflower seeds…grilled chicken — if you like it in a salad, throw it in there!
The trick with Kale salads (in my mind) is to allow the kale enough time soften in whatever salad dressing you like. I tend to go a little bit more acidic in my dressings when I’m making a kale salad because you need the acid to help break down the cell walls and make the kale more palatable. Apple cider vinegar is my go to, but balsamic or white wine vinegar would also work well — anything that will lend a bit of tang and provides flavor to the fibrous Kale.
So that’s about it! Check out the recipe box below for full deets on how I whipped this salad up! I hope you’re having a great day!
Kale Harvest Salad
- 1 Bag Chopped Kale washed and large stems discarded
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp. Honey
- 1 tbsp. Dijon Mustard either smooth or grainy
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flake if you like it spicy
- 1 whole Acorn Squash cut into 1/8th's and roasted
- 1/4 Cup Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/4 Sliced Red Onion
- 1/4 Dried Cranberries
To roast the squash:
- Preheat your oven to 425 deg F. Cut the squash into 1/8th's -- removing the seeds. Place squash on a roasting pan and drizzle with oil. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until browned at the edges.
For the Salad:
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, Dijon mustard, honey, salt and better until smooth. Add Kale and toss to coat. Set aside and allow to marinade for 15-20 minutes.
- When ready to serve, toss pumpkin seeds, red onions, and cranberries with the kale. Top with roasted squash.
- Serve immediately or allow to sit at room temperature until ready to eat. Enjoy!