Hello hello! How are you today? I am glad that we are halfway through the week and these chocolate crack bar cookies — aka the best thing to eat this week — are just making it that much sweeter!
I have been feeling a little under the weather this past week and weekend so I was ready to get back into action in my kitchen. Usually I bake to satisfy a craving or to try something new and different. Today, my inspiration was spawned by wanting something chocolate, that wasn’t too sweet and took under 30 minutes to make and TADA! Chocolate Crack Bar Cookies were born!
And the world is a better place for it — at least my world is.
So, these bars are *ridiculously* easy to make, perfect for when you are feeling something sweet and salty annnnnnnnd make a great gift or party treat. All the things wrapped into one awesome package!
Now I used a tart pan to make these cookie bars, but you could definitely use a 8×8 baking dish lined with parchment paper (for easy extraction) or really whatever baking dish you have laying around — and by laying around I mean in a cupboard somewhere in your kitchen.
This recipe can also be easily doubled if you want to make *more* of these delicious treats and bake them in a 13×9′ pan. It’s all about quantity here, and I’ll never say no to more cookies. Right?!
So regardless of the baking pan that you use, you’ll also want to pick up some peanut butter filled pretzels from your local grocery market. I have seen these babies everywhere and we always have them in our house for a quick snack! Now, if you’re allergic to peanut butter (sad day) then you can just use some crushed pretzels. Perfect substitute.
Other than that, the ingredients are pretty basic and you wont need anything special to make these cookie bars. Feel free to dress up these bars with whatever else you like too! Coconut, banana chips, nuts, candy pieces — you name it, if it sticks to chocolate then throw it on top! Just make sure you press your toppings into the chocolate so that they don’t fall off when you eat them!
That’s about it! I hope you enjoy this quick and easy cookie bar recipe! Have a great rest of your week!
Chocolate Crack Bars
- 1/2 Cup 1 Stick Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Cinnamon ground
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup Peanut Butter Pretzels crushed
- Preheat oven to 375 Degrees F, lightly grease a 11"x7" tart pan (you can also use an 8x8 baking pan -- it just may need to cook a little longer) set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Add the Oats, Flour, cinnamon and salt and mix until combined.
- Spread in an even layer in the bottom of your baking dish and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on the edges.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Allow to melt (if not melting fast enough, place back in the warm oven for 1 minute to help) and spread evenly over the surface of the cookie, being sure not to press down too hard. Sprinkle the top immediately with crushed peanut butter pretzels.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares. Serve immediately or store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.