Hello happy Tuesday! I’m jet-setting to Boston and Portsmouth NH for the rest of this week but before I do, I wanted to pop in with some bite inspo for your 4th of July! Whether your having a low key celebration and just watching some fireworks, or you’re going big for american’s birthday, these cute little red velvet cake bites are bound to help you celebrate!
Super simple to make and you can decorate them however you want, so then they’re perfect for any occasion!
I simply halved my red velvet cupcake recipe (check those out here!) and I got about a dozen red velvet cake bites, so you could totally make the whole recipe and get ALOT more cake balls. It all depends on how many people you want to serve — or how many of these cuties you want to eat!
Anyway, the trick for cake bites is not to over bake the batter, but to bake it *enough* so that it will crumble nicely. Another tip is to not go crazy on the frosting that is the “binding “ agent for the cake balls.
When your cake is cooled and ready to crumble, just place it in a bowl and crumble it up with your fingers. Then use about 3 tbsp to 1/4 Cup Cream Cheese frosting (I used store bought for this but you could make your own) to bind the cake crumbs together. You can use a scoop if you want perfect portions, but I just dug in and formed balls with my hands. So some of mine where bigger than others, but that’s ok. It’s perfectly imperfect.
Next, and probably the most important part, you must refrigerate the cake bites prior to coating them with the chocolate shell. This will allow the crumb to set so that they won’t fall apart when you coat them.
As for coating them, you can either dunk them in the melted chocolate chips (I used this kind that I found at Michaels) or you can just drizzle it over the top. It just depends on how think you want the chocolate coating to be. Also, keep in mind that the chocolate sets pretty quickly, so if you need to reheat your chocolate, just follow the instructions on your packaging.
And voila! Easy as that you have a tasty treat for the 4th! Store them in the fridge so the chocolate doesn’t “weep” or get soft, and enjoy!
See ya next time!
Red Velvet Cake Bites
Super simple and delicious, celebrate any time with these cake bites!
- 1 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Oil
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 oz. Red Food Color
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 3/4 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3/4 tsp Baking
- 1/4 Cup Cream Cheese frosting
- Melting chocolate chips various colors.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, egg and sugar and mix until light yellow.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Add red food coloring to egg mixture and then alternate dry ingredients with buttermilk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl combine apple cider vinaigrette and baking soda and immediately add to cake batter, mixing to combine.
- Pour batter into a greased and parchment lined 9” round cake pan and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a tooth pick comes clean from the center. Remove and allow to cool completely.
- Once cake is cooked, crumble into a large bowl and add 3 tbsp to 1/4 Cup Cream Cheese frosting and using a spatula? Mix until the crumbs being to form a ball.
- Using a scoop, or your hands, form cake bites and place on a plate. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- When ready to Capt, melt chocolate chips in the microwave according to the package instructions. Dip or drizzle the cake bits with the chocolate. Once done, refrigerate again until chocolate is set.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply