Hello and happy July! Its the month of oppressive heat, pool and beach parties and dripping ice cream cones! I’m off to New Hampshire in a few days for the 4th of July, but before I go….I have a great home made ice cream recipe for you! A peanut butter ice cream base, with chopped peanut butter filled pretzels and a smattering of chocolate chips, this ice cream will make the summer heat almost bearable.
Now, what makes this ice cream so smooth and lovely is the use of heavy cream. The fat molecules in heavy cream range anywhere from 36-40 percent and that heavy fat content is what is responsible for making ice cream so creamy. It also makes it melt relatively quickly, so eat quick! In addition to the heavy cream, I used both cream cheese and smooth peanut butter to make this ice cream super smooth. Ice cream bases are pretty easy to put together, it’s usually the preparation process leading up to the actual making of the ice cream that is time intensive.
Annnnnd it’s really not that time intensive. If you have an ice cream maker (I use this one), then you want to make sure that you freeze the core at least a day in advance of making your ice cream. A frozen core is critical to smoothly churned ice cream. You can also do this by hand, it will just take longer — so crank away if you have a manual ice cream maker!
After you put the core in the freezer, now it’s just time to decide what ice cream to make! There are so many options out there — I personally used this Saveur Magazine article for inspiration. My husband and I also love these peanut butter filled pretzels, so naturally I had to put those in there. And don’t forget the chocolate! Peanut butter, Pretzels and chocolate are like a match made in heaven for all your ice cream needs!
So don’t just stand there, get to ice cream making! Enjoy!
Peanut Butter Pretzel Ice Cream
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 1 ⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 2 ⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1 ⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 tbsp. cream cheese softened
- 3 tbsp. smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 Cups Peanut butter pretzels chopped
- 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips as desired
- In a bowl, stir together 1⁄4 cup milk and the cornstarch; set slurry aside.
- In a 4-qt. saucepan, whisk together remaining milk and the cream, sugar, syrup, and salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cook for 4 minutes; stir in slurry. Return to a boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Place cream cheese and peanut butter in a bowl and pour in 1⁄4 cup hot milk mixture; whisk until smooth. Then whisk in remaining milk mixture.
- Cover mixture with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator until chilled.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker; process according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Just before ice cream is done, add peanut butter pretzels and chocolate chips, mix to combine.
- Transfer ice cream to a storage container and freeze until set.