Hello and welcome to another week! I am recovering from vacationing over the 4th in Portsmouth, NH — and it was pretty fantastic! But I’m back at work today and ready to share this amazing melty, chocolatey deliciousness with you! Molten Chocolate Mug Cakes, for one, two, or 4 servings! These little gems are just what the doctor ordered on a Monday after a holiday week!
Also, can we just talk about how cute they are in their individual mugs?! So perfect for just that little bit of chocolate that you NEED at the end of a Monday. imiright?? ALL THE CHOCOLATE.
Now, you can make these sanz the Nutella in the middle — if you’re crazy and you don’t like Nutella — but alas nut allergies. You can substitute it with either chocolate chips, or chocolate pieces pressed into the center of the batter. That my friends is completely up to you, regardless it will be delicious.
I also topped mine with a dab of vanilla ice cream, but whipped cream and some berries wouldn’t hurt. I just love the way the ice cream melts on top of the cake and oozes down to make it cold but warm, dark but sweet.. yasssss.
Also, did I mention that these babies take like, 5 minutes to whip up?!?! Everyone has time for THAT in their lives. Skeptical? Just try it — You’ll be impressed with what you create!
So go forth and bake! I’ll be enjoying my molten chocolate mug cakes over here….See ya next time!
Looking for more chocolate inspo? Click here!
Molton Chocolate Mug Cakes
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 2 tbsp. Brewed Coffee
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Nutella
- Berries and Ice Cream optional for serving
- In a small bowl, whisk together with a fork, the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt until well combined.
- Add in the melted butter, milk, egg and vanilla and coffee. Whisk well to combine, making sure to mix in the flour mixture in the bottom.
- Scoop into regular (8oz) microwave safe coffee mugs, about 2/3rd up.
- Add tsp of nutella in the center of the mug. Do not push down; it will sink as it bakes.
- Cook in microwave on full power for 1 minute and 15 seconds to 1 minute and 30 seconds (1 minute and 15 seconds is my magic number), or until the cake rises to the top, the edges look set but the surface of the center looks slightly wet and shiny, and sticks to the finger when touched. It will set up as it sits. Timing will vary according to your microwave, so you’ll have to experiment until you find your perfect cooking duration. Do NOT overbake to ensure that saucy, molten-y interior. If the center still looks raw then give it another 5 to 10 seconds. The cake will fall after it comes out of the microwave.
- Let it cool for about 5 minutes so you don’t burn your tongue, and the waiting will also help thicken the sauce in the bottom. Top with berries or ice cream if desired, then share with a loved one or enjoy all by yourself…not gonna judge:))
- **This recipe makes 4 small cakes, or two large cakes. Halve the recipe if looking to only make 1 large cake, or two small cakes**
Leave a Reply