Hello hello! How’s your Tuesday going??? Mine got off to a slow start, but I have a lot to get done today — starting with eating these loaded m&m chocolate chip cookies! ha! Although, lets be honest, I did have one for breakfast (ssshhhh…don’t tell). But seriously these loaded chocolate chip, M&M covered, bites of heaven are just the kind of pick me up and day needs! So lets chat about these cookies before I eat them all!
The Secret Ingredient
Now, all good cookies start with a great cookie base — and this one is a keeper. You can do so much with this cookie base it’s crazy! I use it mostly for chocolate chip cookies…but you can mix it up with whatever add-ins you might like. the secret ingredient is a 3.4oz package of pudding mix. That’s right…pudding mix like the one picture below. You can also use chocolate pudding mix to make them extra chocolatey!
There’s just something about adding this mix to your cookie dough that gives it a extra oomph. A je ne sais quoi if you will. It will have everyone trying to guess what makes your cookies so special.
Now, I can’t take full credit for this recipe as it came from my husband. When we first met, he made me these cookies and it was love at first bite and I *knew* a man who could make cookies like that was definitely a keeper. So glad he decided to marry me. 😛
I scoop, you scoop, we scoop
Anyway! back to the cookies. So I used a rather large cookie scoop (go big or go home right?) and you can find cookie scoops everywhere now-a-days (Amazon, Michaels, you name it they have it) and the key to getting the M&Ms to stay vibrant on these cookies is to roll the dough through the M&Ms right before you bake the cookies. You don’t want the M&Ms to sit on the cookies or to mix too much with the cookie dough, as this will cause the color on the M&Ms to bleed. I also used mini M&M, because I can cram more onto the cookie, but you can use regular size M&M, peanut butter M&Ms….reese’s pieces (oh wouldn’t that be good?!) etc. You do you booboo.
So that’s pretty much it! These loaded M&M Chocolate Chip cookies keeps great for a few days in the fridge, or you can whip them up and then freeze the dough in logs to cut and bake later. Skies the limit!
I hope you enjoyed this post & happy baking!
check out more cookie recipes here!
Chocolate Chip + M&M Cookies
- 1 Cup 2 sticks Unsalted butter; room temperature
- 3/4 cups Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3.4 oz package Vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 Cups mini M&Ms
- Pre-heat your oven to 350ºF. With a mixer, stand or hand mixer — it doesn’t matter, combine butter with both sugars and mix until pale & fluffy.
- When the butter and sugar are well combined, add the eggs one at a time, mixing until combined & follow with vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda and slowly on low speed (unless you want to wear it) add the dry ingredients to wet, mixing just to combine.
- Next, add the packet of vanilla pudding mix & combine (** Tip: make sure you are buying the 3.4 oz packet of chocolate pudding mix, it should be right on the box)
- Next, stir in chocolate chips (you can change this up too if you want something other than chocolate. I used semisweet chips here, but you could always use dark, milk, or white chocolate — the skies the limit!).
- Place mini M&Ms in a small bowl and using a 1.5 inch scoop, roll cookie dough into balls and then roll them in the mini M&Ms. You can use your hand to lightly press the M&Ms into the cookie dough.
- Place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, approximately 3 inches apart, the cookies will spread out as they bake.
- Bake your cookies for 15-20 minutes for soft cookies, a bit longer if you like crispy cookies. Yield: 20-24 (depending on size of cookie)
- Remove your cookies from the oven, and cool on the pan for about 5 minutes. Then transfer them to a cooling rack and cool completely. Store in a airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.