Hello! Happy Wednesday! Ok, so I have a confession to make, I’ve been obsessed with recreating the little Debbie fudge brownies — you know the ones. They come with little nuts or candies on top and they taste — like childhood. Right?! Well. I think I am one step closer with these brownies. They’re not *perfect*…yet. But they are pretty damn delicious so I decided to share the recipe with you guys anyway. So here they are glorious M&M Brownies with a fudge ganache. yassss.
So, I approached these brownies like I would my Texas Chocolate Sheet cake recipe, a the Little Debbie (or LB for short) are a little more “cake” like than “brownie” like. So I melted the butter and whisked the cocoa powder into it. Easy. Now, I know in the recipe I say to use 3/4 cups cocoa powder, but what I realllllllly meant to say was 3/4 “heaping” cups of cocoa powder. So heap it on into your sauce pan. I also used the Hershey’s dark cocoa powder like I did in my cosmic brownie recipe. It’s just soo good!
So really, after the melting of the butter and combination of cocoa, the recipe is really just a basic brownie recipe. Combining sugars and eggs with the dry ingredients. and voila! Ready to bake.
Now, don’t be concerned when the batter is super thin in the 13×9 pan, you want it to be that way so that you can top the with an equally thick layer of ganache. All things equal in this recipe!
It’s also important to chill the brownies so that the ganache can set and your brownies become slice-able.
I hope you continue this journey with me towards the ever elusive Little Debbie brownies…regardless, you’ll get a few great brownie recipes along the way!
- 1¼ c. all-purpose flour
- ¾ c. natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 c. sugar
- ⅔ c. brown sugar
- ¾ c. 1½ sticks butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp. milk
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ c. heavy cream
- ⅓ c. Mini M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 baking dish with Parchment paper, set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter. Once butter is melted, add cocoa powder and whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat melted butter/cocoa, sugars and vanilla until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until incorporated.
- In a medium size mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, cornstarch, and salt. With mixing speed on low, alternate adding dry ingredients and milk. Mix just until combined.
- Remove bowl from stand and pour batter into prepared pan. The batter will be thick, so using a rubber spatula, spread into an even layer. Place in oven and bake for 18-22 minutes. The brownies will be done, so do not over-bake or you will have dry brownies! Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan.
For the Ganache:
- Meanwhile to prepare the ganache, in a glass measuring cup, heat cream for 1 minute, or until hot but not boiling. Pour over chocolate and stir until all of the chips are melted and it becomes smooth. Beat for 1 minute and then pour over the top of the brownies. Spread evenly and sprinkle with mini M&Ms. Cover and place in the refrigerator to allow the topping to set for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut and Serve!