Hello friends! How are you doing on this magnificent Tuesday? Making Guava Pastelitos of course! but first, I have to tell you about how this week is off to a very interesting start.
So before we get into this recipes let’s chat real quick about what happened this morning. I’m driving to work this morning and I come across this mama dog and her baby puppy just walking down the road into my neighborhood (well the puppy was running and the mama was trying to catch him). Of course I stop and I wanted to get both of them, and I was able to get the puppy but the mom ran off.
Now I’m on the side of the road with this puppy that’s terrified so what else can I do? I get in my car and bring him with me to our vet, where I was originally taking our dog to doggie daycare that morning. Now I’m wondering if I took someone’s puppy, or if there’s more puppies out there that need help, where the mom is…ugh. So many questions. I also don’t think we can keep this puppy, realistically. Ya know? So many emotions.
Back to the Pastry:
Anyway! So that was my morning. Way more eventful than usual, so I had to share, but now! On the main event. Guava Pastelitos I had these everyday for breakfast while I was in Miami, so you know I had to attempt to recreate them at home!
It it all starts with the guava paste. You can find this at a Hispanic food market, or maybe your grocery store sell it, or online. I bought mine from amazon and it was here in no time. You don’t need a ton, so if you can get a small can, do that. If not, stay tuned because I have wayyy too much guava paste left over. Ha!
In addition to the guava paste, these beauties are filled with a slightly sweet cream cheese that is just such a goodness compliment to the guava paste! All wrapped up in a puff pastry dough, does it get any better??? I think not.
And oh, that crust! Crispy and flakey topped with Demerara sugar and cinnamon. Just kill me. I’m dead.
Besides, these are fast and easy to make and they keep extremely well at room temperature so you can make them tonight and have them for breakfast the rest of the week! Now that’s what I call meal planning!
So this Tuesday started out kind of crazy, but these guava Pastelitos make it all worth it. 😉
See ya tomorrow!
Flaky Puff Pastry and Smooth Guava Filling make these pastries a true breakfast delight!
- 2 Sheets Puff Pastry thawed
- 1/2 Cup Guava Paste
- 1/2 Cup Cream Cheese Softened
- 2 Tbsp Sugar granulated
- 2 Tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp Heavy cream or milk
- 2 Tbsp Demerara sugar
- 2 Tsp Cinnamon ground
- Preheat oven to 425 Degrees F. In a small bowl, whisk cream cheese, granulated sugar and vanilla together. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one sheet of puff pastry. Score puff pastry lightly into 8 squares and place 1 tbsp of cream cheese mixture and 1 tbsp of guava paste in the center of each square.
- Using the heavy cream or milk and a pastry brush, lightly brush the edge of each pastry square. Roll out the second sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Place onto the top of the first sheet and using a sharp knife, cut pastries into squares.
- Using a fork, seal the two sheets of pastry together. Cut slits through the top pastry and using pastry brush brush with heavy cream or milk and follow with Demerara sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake at 425F for 20-25 mintues or until pastry is puffed and golden brown. Cool and serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Leave a Reply