Hello and happy Tuesday! Perhaps you’re already over this week and I don’t blame you! But I have a great mid-week meal for you that might help you make it through. This grilled Tatziki chicken with Sheppard’s salad can be ready in under 30 minutes and is delicious for the whole family. (It also makes great leftovers!).
Now, there are many different versions of Tatziki sauce out there. For instance, a Greek Tatziki is very similar to what I made (yogurt with vinegar, salt, pepper, herbs, garlic and oil) but a Turkish Tatziki traditionally adds mint and chopped cucumbers. I took a spin on a Tatziki sauce and just made it my own version, so you can too! If there is something you don’t like, or don’t have, in my recipe then replace it with something that you do!
Tatziki sauce is also traditionally served cold along with grilled meats, but I slathered my chicken with it to give the chicken a little bit *more*, if you know what I mean. The important thing to remember with this is to oil your grill or grill pan or George Forman (do people still use those?!) really well to prevent the chicken from sticking and then tearing. You may still have a little bit of that, but a well oiled grill will help stop some of it.
I served this with a Sheppard’s salad, which is super simple — just cucumbers, tomatoes and onions marinated in a mild vinegar solution. I like to use rice wine vinegar, specifically Mirin, because it is slightly sweet and isn’t over powering but you can use whatever vinegar you have on hand. The only one I would steer away from is Balsamic vinegar as it tends to over power the other ingredients. You an find Mirin at your local grocery store or online.
I also served this dish up with some Israeli or Pearled Couscous and some na’an. I used Bobs Red Mills Tri-Color Couscous, because more color is more better in my opinion, and I cooked it following the directions on the bag. Of course you can spruce up your couscous with spices and herbs and veggies if you like as well. Skies the limit!
So that’s about it! An easy and fast week-night dinner that’s sure to please! Stay tuned, because tomorrow I have a ooey-gooey brownie recipe heading your way!
Grilled Tatziki Chicken with Sheppard's Salad
- 1 Pound Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1/3 Cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp White or Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Dill
- 1 tsp Tarragon
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flake
- 1 Cucumber, Sliced
- 1 Pint Cherry tomatoes, Halved
- 1/2 Medium Onion, Sliced
- 3 tbsp Rice (Mirin) or White Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 2 tsp Sugar
- Crumbled Feta Cheese, as desired.
- Preheat grill or grill pan to high heat. In a bowl, combine yogurt and spices. Add Chicken and toss to combine. Oil the grill and cook chicken over high heat, turn once. (6-8 Minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the chicken breast). Internal temp should reach 165 degrees F. Remove cooked chicken to a plate and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Serve with Sheppard's Salad and couscous.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and toss to combine. Allow to sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes to allow flavors to meld. Add feta, as desired, prior to serving.
Leave a Reply