Yes — you read that right — Turkey PUMPKIN Chili — and yes its delicious. Don’t believe me? Ask the dish…just kidding, just make it and you’ll see!
Here’s what you’ll need:
Canned Tomatoes, diced
Red pepper flakes
Mrs Dash Onion & Herb
Lets do this!
In a medium to large pot (I used a dutch oven, but any heavy pot will do), heat Olive oil over medium-high meat. Add chopped red onion & cook until translucent.
Once the onion has cooked down (approx. 2 minutes) add garlic followed by the chopped jalapeno. Cook for about a minute.
Next, add your pound of ground turkey, and cook until almost done. Meanwhile, assemble your spices!
You can really use any spices that you’d like in this recipe — to make it more or less flavorful. About the only thing I wouldn’t skimp on would be the chili powder, as that is what gives this dish its signature flavor.
Once your turkey is almost cooked through, add your spice mixture, followed by the can of tomatoes. Don’t drain the tomatoes, as you’ll need the liquid in the recipe.
Now your ready to add your can of pumpkin. Make SURE its not Pumpkin Pie filling — you just want plain ol’ pumpkin today. Add directly to the chili mix.
Now, use the pumpkin can — no need to dirty more dishes — and measure to about halfway up the can with the chicken stock and add to the mix. You can add more or less stock, depending on how thick you like your chili. I like mine pretty thick, so I always lean towards less stock as you can always thin it out if necessary.
Once you add your stock, follow with the beans. Again, I used kidney & garbanzo beans, but use whatever you have handy, just make sure you drain and rinse them before adding them to the mix. Stir to combine, cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
When your ready to eat, serve it up in a bowl with your favorite toppings — I like sharp cheddar cheese and greek yogurt! Add a side of toasty bread, cornbread or how about those buttermilk biscuits?? and enjoy!
Question of the day: What do you like on your Chili?
Enjoy this turkey pumpkin chili!
See ya’ll next time!
Turkey Pumpkin Chili
get fall ready with this easy and healthy Turkey Pumpkin Chili!
- * 1 Lb ground turkey
- * 1/2 Red onion chopped
- * 2-3 Cloves garlic chopped
- * 1 jalapeno chopped
- * 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
- * 1 15.5oz can Kidney Beans
- * 1 15.5oz can Garbanzo Beans
- * 1 15oz can of pumpkin puree
- * 1/2 cup chicken stock
- * 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- * 2 tablespoons chili powder
- * 1 teaspoon salt
- * 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- * 1 teaspoon cumin
- * 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- * 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or deep sauté pan
- Add onions and cook until translucent
- Add garlic and jalapeño and cook 1 min, stiring constantly
- Add ground turkey, and cook until browned, braking up with a spoon into small chunks
- Add spices, stir to combine. follow with diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- Add pumpkin purée & 1/2 cup stock, stirring to combine
- Drain and rinse beans and add to the pot
- Add more stock, until desired thickness is achieved. Cover and allow to simmer for 30minutes.
- Serve in bowls with your favorite chili toppings!